William Penn is often credited with introducing coffee in 1682 to the Quaker colony he founded on the banks of the Delaware River, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For patriotism is love, and love wills the good of the other—in the case of a nation, a good dependent on its united response to the just claims of its citizens and, to whatever extent possible, to the human needs beyond its borders. And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.

The only exceptions to this rule are for Navy chaplains when they're conducting church services, and the flag display at the United Nations headquarters. Because we need a sense of national ego to remember what binds us together. Nationalism, on the other hand, is seen as a highly exclusive, prepolitical, culturally oriented attachment that is antagonistic to liberty.

One passes through the study of the nation, its history and culture, and the peculiar identity it provides to those who live (or lived) in it. The other treats patriotism as ideology and examines where it distorts reality and how such distortions serve the interests of the ruling class.

One likely explanation for this is that the young people who specifically seek out news from TV news sources may be more politically engaged and care more about national politics than those who consume news incidentally, mixed in with other content on social media feeds.

Since my considerations are aimed at polemics with MacIntyre's position, I assume, for the sake of argument, his definition of patriotism which appeals to nation, but in its political, not ethnic sense that would be consistent with below considered position of moderate liberal nationalism.
이 게시물을..