Independence Day in the United States is celebrated with parades, fireworks and parties. In the cosmopolitan conception, nationality is seen as another deep contingency that is as sex or race morally arbitrary and therefore the criteria of justice cannot be limited by them. Patriotism is love of country, and we should delight in celebrating our democracy, individual freedoms, diverse culture, stunning landscapes and, as the song says, fruited plains.

Still another variety is the patriotism of liberty" propounded by Maurizio Viroli, who calls for a return to what patriotism used to be before it was harnessed in the service of the nation-state and submerged in nationalism: love of the laws and institutions of one's polity and the common liberty they make possible (Viroli 1995).

It abuses neither speech nor sense to say that I love my house and for that reason would feel sorrow and deprivation if disaster forced me to leave it. (I have had such an experience.) A country is, among other things, a place, a language (one's mother tongue"), a way of life, and a set of institutions through which collective decisions are made and carried out.

From these normative assumptions they derive a conclusion that moral obligations towards conationals have priority over moral obligations towards foreigners. After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor , "I Am an American Day" helped solidify public determination to do everything possible to win the war.

The Catholic acknowledgment of natural law is nowhere more explicit or normative than in moral questions connected with the ius gentium, nationalism and internationalism, civic loyalty and patriotism. The positive view therefore involves the direct normative assimilation of nationalism and patriotism to communitarianism.

The ‘Polish nation' as an abstract community, one of shared cultural values, for which Polish patriots (most of them from the nobility) made the ultimate sacrifice, had been generally embraced more than a century before the Polish nation actually formed in the real sense of the word, that is, as a ‘sociological fact'.

Oldies seem to value patriotism and hold on to the love and faith in, what they consider to be, their country. A day of tragedy and despair also serves as a vivid display of American patriotism. Tan, Kok-Chor, 2004, Justice without Borders: Cosmopolitanism, Nationalism and Patriotism, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
이 게시물을..